While parents are constantly trying to do all they can in developing their children into an all around wonderful, confident, and smart adult, there is no question that this can be quite a challenge. As the saying goes, no one is perfect and all we can do as parents is try our best to instill the best we can into our child. While we want our children to have healthy levels of self-esteem, sometimes this doesn’t occur, so the next step we can do to help our children is to see the signs of low-esteem and begin to repair it. In recognizing low levels of self-esteem you can look for a series of symptoms and signs to help you determine if your child needs help.
Keep in mind that a child may show some signs, or no signs and that these are just some more of the typical signs. Some signs that your child will show if they have low self-esteem include:
1. Your child makes negative comments about themselves or others around them such as their friends.
2. Your child’s enthusiasm is lacking when it comes to activities or projects that would be exciting. This may be because they feel they will not be successful at it, because of their low self worth.
3. Your child may suddenly not want to attend school or may seem discouraged about school.
4. When it comes to doing something new, your child may be reluctant. This may be because they feel they will fail at whatever it may be.
5. Your child may tend to put not only himself down, but others around him down such as his siblings. This helps him to feel better about himself.
6. Offering many excuses and giving up on something quickly is also a sign your child may have low self-esteem.
7. If a child’s behavior is one of a bully and acts as such towards others, he/she may have low self-worth. Again, he may put others down to make himself try to feel better.
8. While your child will give up on things quickly, he may use excuses such as he is tired or bored.
9. Your child may be showing signs of low self-esteem if he lacks in the ability of coping with failure. For example, if a child losses in a game and acts inappropriately.
10. Even behaviors such as clowning around or acting silly may be signs of low self-worth.[ad_2]
Source by Lee Mainprize